Total Pageviews

Thursday, 3 October 2013

The Magpie Lord (#1 A Charm of Magpies) by K. J. Charles ****

The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)The Magpie Lord by K.J. Charles

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Well this book was certainly different. I had no idea what to expect - other than I probably would like it, as it was recommended to me by some great friends.

A historical paranormal story with a tattooed Lord (Lucien Crane) and a nondescript shaman (Stephen Day) as the protagonists, with a premise like that, intriguing is the word I'd use. I liked how different this was, it had that un-put-downable feel I love in my books - you know the one, okay just one more chapter. Been there? Yeah that feeling.

The magic/warlock/shaman storyline was interesting and kept me on my toes. It wasn't the same old, same old regurgitated. I loved it. The setting of the old 'seat' in the country, Piper, the doomed old mausoleum of a house, was perfect for this book. The unfriendly staff and locals - I loved them, great characters. As was Merrick, Lord Crane's man. There is a subtle humour running throughout the book, alongside the horror and sexual tension, that I really appreciated.

The sexual tension - well yes it was there, and it was worth waiting for that to be resolved. You know the feeling they're going to, yes, yes, aaah interrupted again. I do love a romance with some sexual tension, especially when there is a tease of relief before hand. I loved Lucien and Stephen - they were both really interesting characters in their own right and not just a carbon copy of a Lord and a shaman. Lucien was suitably cocky, with just enough humble to bow to Stephen's knowledge of the supernatural. Stephen, the quiet nondescript character - who turned out to be the star of the show. brilliant.

To anyone who likes something a bit different, read this it is so worth it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment