Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Another Enchanted April by Eric Arvin *****

Another Enchanted AprilAnother Enchanted April by Eric Arvin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Okay, I feel like I'm turning into a one woman Eric Arvin fan club at the moment. I've read several of his books over the last few weeks and have yet to find one I don't love. Another Enchanted April was, yet again, a winner for me. His prose is just beautiful to read, descriptions, humour, characterisation, plot - he has it nailed.

Three friends set off for a holiday to the small seaside town of Beechwood and they each have their own agenda. Tony, who really doesn't want to be there, wants to mind his own business and for everyone else to mind theirs. Doug - beautiful, fit Doug - well his agenda is easy; sex and lots of it please. Jerry's agenda is simply Doug, and the hope that maybe this year his best friend will see what's right in front of his face.

Eric Arvin's sense of humour shines through in this book as all three of the protagonists muddle their way through the holiday. From an orgy in the shower to a narcoleptic hunk who just can't stay awake at the crucial moment, you can pretty much guarantee you've not read it before - and if you have, most definitely not like this.

The descriptions of the gardens (in which much of the book is set) are written so well they paint a vivid picture in the mind's eye. I have found this with his other books, the scenery is not just background to his story, it is a crucial part of it.

This can also be said for his secondary characters, each of them bring something important to the story. I'm very partial to excellent secondary characters and often find I prefer them to the main ones, Eric Arvin manages that fine line between supporting the main cast without over-shadowing them.

I really wanted the characters to have an HEA in this book (okay, I always want an HEA, I like happy) - did they get it? Well you'll have to read it and see! Once again, highly recommended.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment