Total Pageviews

Sunday, 7 July 2013

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch ***** (or, I love Jean Tannen).

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read - a lot. To me reading is just as important as eating, so I get through quite a few books. Every now and then though a book comes a long that I truly cannot put down and The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch was definitely one of those books.

The characters, to me, lead this book; the setting is fantastic, the descriptions beautiful, the story-lines fabulous, but it is the characters I couldn't let go. The main character Locke is a thief - an extraordinarily talented thief, but a thief nonetheless. Not really your typical protagonist, more usually seen perhaps in the role of the villain (or anti-hero, I suppose), yet you want him to succeed - even when this means stealing from the ordinary everyday folk (okay, the maybe a bit richer than average folk, but plenty of 'normal' people fall foul of him too).

As well as Locke we have the other Gentleman Bastards, all super characters in their own rights. I loved them all. Though I do have do admit a bit of a penchant (okay a lot of a penchant, am I the only person who has huge crushes on book characters?) for Jean Tannen. Jean is Locke's best friend - and more often than not saviour - and together they earn what isn't rightfully theirs while trying to keep to their own moral compass. Okay so they thieve - this doesn't mean they are all out bad guys, far from it.

I really don't want to include any spoilers but I would HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone. Now all I've got to do is wait for the next instalment. Damn these fantasy authors and their worlds I can't live without.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment